Saturday, November 29, 2008

"There's a Cat in the Washing Machine!" feat. special celebrity co writter: Aly!

Jillie:
sean's gone. it's not the end of my world. that's my newest mantra. how many weeks 'til christmas?
over to you, Al.

Aly:
Well, what the heck am I supposed to write? I'm not used to this kind of pressure, this blogging-thing is all very new to me... ish. I'm having trouble typing/ spelling. Anyway, last night we had steak for dinner. It was rather yummy for red meat, although the bone gnawing that goes on in this family was a little disturbing.

Jillie:
mmmm, bones.
joss wheden has "womb envy". i love that man. buffy, firefly (consequently serenity - although, ugh, Wash! whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?), that one awesome episode of the office when there's a bat loose and Jim "gets bitten," and now womb envy.

Aly: Joss Wheden is like the pagan god of nerds. or the patron saint of nerds. I haven't quite decided yet.

Jillie:
womb is a funny word. it's like...
speed(woosh-vroom) + wombat = womb.
english mathematics. yes.

Aly: I can honestly say that I despise the word 'womb' with a passion. I can't explain why but I think it has something to do with the way it feels in your mouth as you form it, or the way your lips move when you say it. ughhhhh. *shudders*

Jillie:
totally. weird word.
i hope everyone enjoyed their annual harvest festival! mine was awesome. this year we connected the tables and everyone ate together. this skillfully bypassed last year's awkwardness. i suppose i'm not a girl, not yet a woman, so, sitting at the kid's table or grown-up table...so many decisions that other people decide they can make for me.

Aly: All my little cousin, Michaela, ate this year was mashed potatoes, chicken fries, and something else that I don't remember. That poor child has no idea what she's missing. As I was sitting next to her I just wanted to pile on food to her plate, but i held back because she wouldn't eat it and it would be a waste.

Jillie:
Kala never eats. I think she's a plant - getting her energy from the sun.
What are chicken fries?

Aly: Chicken fries are like very thin chicken fingers. Burger king invented them and everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. they're frozen strips of breaded fake chicken. mmmmmmmmm.

Jillie:
Mm! A wagon of processed meat! I'd jump on that.

Aly: P.S. Aunt Debbie is a FANTASTIC chef. God bless that woman and her delicious goodies. and her turkey.

Jillie:
she had that bird stewing in its own juices for two days.

Jillie:
pray for derek's uncle who's body is rejecting the kidney he got.

(Aly: I think? Or maybe he isn't getting the transplant he needs, either way.)

_________________________________________________________________

heirloom tomato & sweet corn pizza

garlic pistou:
1 head garlic, top trimmed
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. fresh oregano leaves
1tsp. fresh lemon zest

pizzas:
2 prepared garlic-herb pizza doughs
2 1/2 oz. Cotija or feta cheese
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1 lb. assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced
2 Tbs. torn fresh basil
2 tsp. chopped fresh dill

making the pistou -
preheat oven to 350F
wrap garlic in foil
bake 40 minutes/until softened
cool
squeeze cloves into bowl of food processor
blend with everything else until smooth

making the pizza -
preheat oven to 400F
place dough on 2 baking sheets, coated with cooking spray
spread Garlic Pistou
sprinkle with cheese & corn
bake 15 minutes/'til crisp
toss tomatoes with basil & dill in bowl
arrange bowl contents on hot crusts

recipe from: Vegetarian Times September 2008
mm-mmm!

___________________________________________________________________

in other news -
M.I.A. is convinced that her baby is a boy. Apparently, "clairvoyant birds" run amok in India. Says the 31 yr. old happenin' hipster: " 'They come and pick up cards for you. The guy who read my cards said, 'When you were born, your parents thought you'd be a boy, so you came out with a lot of make energy.' [...] There's a lot of male energy in me that needs to be exorcised, that's how I know it's going to be a boy.' " (quote/personal information found in the December 2008 issue of SPIN magazine). So, yeah, cool. Pennsylvania has some cool birds, too, you know. Robins and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment