Thursday, January 15, 2009

my cat is fat and sleeping

Dad made coffee for me this morning! Joy of joys.
Sean? You asked why I'm starting to like Hillary more? Well, you asked for it.
A LIST!

1) Hillary doesn't give up when the going get's tough. She weathered a very public infidelity with grace. And then she weathered criticism for staying with her husband! Some supported her strength, and some said that she stayed only to further her political career. What. Ever. The woman's insanely politically savvy, yes, but please. Anyway, they're still together and you know it's not because she's a doormat and he's off, running amok.
2) She and her husband are equals and supportive. I don't mean their marriage is one to mirror (see 1), but as far as political partners are concerned, they kick butt. (see 8, link to Wikipedia)
3) She's the first first-lady to be appointed to a Cabinet position. Ever.
4) Those thousands of cracks in the glass ceiling? She made them. She's the first female presidential candidate to even come close to winning a primary. Ever. Ever! (in America)
5) She's out-spoken and driven.
6) She's smart. I mean, the woman's brilliant! She was easily the smartest presidential candidate on the road this year.
7) She raised a daughter through her awkward teen stage in a public eye and the girl didn't turn out totally messed up.
8) When her family moved into the White House she adopted her maiden name, got two offices (the traditional first-lady office AND one in the West Wing), and was the first first-lady to hold a post-grad degree. (thank you, Wikipedia.)
9) She talked to her imaginary friend, Eleanore Roosevelt.
10) She's, like, super popular. I say "Hillary" & you know who I'm talking about. I say "Lamar" and do you think "Republican, Tennessee!"? Be honest now.

But that's not why I like her more. I like her more for this: (at the Senate Confirmation)

We have to expand civil and political rights in countries that are plagued by poverty, hunger, and disease. But our pleas will fall on deaf ears unless democracy actually improves people's lives while weeding out the corruption that too often stands in the way of progress.

Our foreign policy must reflect our deep commitment to help millions of oppressed people around the world. And of particular concern to me is the plight of women and girls, who comprise the majority of the world's unhealthy, unschooled, unfed, and unpaid. If half the world's population remains vulnerable to economic, political, legal and social marginalization, our hope of advancing democracy and prosperity is in serious jeopardy. The United States must be an unequivocal and unwavering voice in support of women's rights in every country on every continent.

...

So we're going to have a very active women's office, a very active office on trafficking. We're going to be speaking out consistently and strongly against discrimination and oppression of women and slavery in particular, because I think that is in keeping not only with American values, as we all recognize, but American national security interests as well.


OH MY GOSH, FINALLY. Did you see that?? She mentioned TRAFFICKING. Yessssss. Mmmm, expansion of civil rights. It tastes so good.

Oh! and did you hear about those girls who got battery acid thrown at them while they were walking to school? The guys in the drive-by were Taliban supporters who didn't agree with the new policy of letting girls further their education. And this is what HRC had to say:

This is not culture. This is not custom. This is criminal. And it will be my hope to persuade more governments, as I have attempted to do since I spoke at Beijing on these issues, you know, 13 and some years ago, that we cannot have a free, prosperous, peaceful, progressive world if women are treated in such a discriminatory and violent way.
BAM! That was the sound of Hillary punching you in the face with civil rights. But, you know, nonviolently.

No comments:

Post a Comment