Sunday, March 1, 2009

I GOT IT!

Carman: you're a genius. I love you! I was watching more Carman videos on YouTube when I found this one from his R.I.O.T. (Righteous Invasion Of Truth) album:



And that's when my subject came to me: How does the Church deal with spirits? So many Christians scoff at the idea that evil can become personified in physical form. Others swear they've witnessed angels swooping in to save children from streetcars (I read that one in a book actually...) Carman's lyrics betray his belief in fleshed out demons while my DCM (Developing a Christian Mind) class alluded to the CRC belief that good and evil are abstract terms, found in abstract beings.
I forget what class this was for... but I ended up reading an article about how Russian folklore reflects the widespread belief that witches and ghosts and all that stuff really do exist. They live in houses that lope around on chicken legs and have gardens fenced in with tibias and fibias and their lanterns are sculls with candles in the eyes. And growing up, I firmly believed that there was very real evil out there. Witches exits, wicca isn't something to be taken lightly, and demons peer out of the dark recesses of your bedroom, watching you closely for weakness. I believed that, while G-d can hear your thoughts, Satan can't, so if I sin in my head, he won't know about it (but G-d will), therefore, sinning with your thoughts is preferable, because Satan won't know to push the temptation further. G-d, however, knows, but just ask for forgiveness, which he's more than happy to dole out, and you're golden.
Yeah, I can work with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment