Stuff I learned about my names for my History of the English Language class:
As unusual as it is, "Jillie" is super boring when it comes to etymology. "Youthful." Super. Boring. Unless you take it back to the Roman meaning - then I'm a downy-bearded youth, which has potential to be interesting given my Russian heritage and the fondness Russian women have for growing facial hair.
Wowk is the German spelling of the Ukrainian Vovk, meaning wolf. "Very hypothetically, this name was attached to 'wise men' who preserved the old pagan knowledge in modern times." Enlightening. Now I know where my pagan streak comes from. Thanks, Papa. I'll think of you next time I'm slaughtering a ram.
Kennedy means 1-3 things: 1) Helmeted-head 2) ugly head or 3) Grim-headed. So, the Name originator was either grumpy, war-like, or ugly. Now think about the Kennedy side of the family. It's hard to choose which one is more apt, isn't it?! It could, of course, refer to the coat of arms (which features three helmeted heads) as well.
And that's it.
No comments:
Post a Comment